Tuesday 7 January 2014

Something Stirs in the Warren


The question for anyone who's ever built gunpla is, that if Gundam Build Fighters was real, what would YOU build? No? Just me? Well, in any case - being an avid fan of as many gundam series as possible, and perhaps because I take my own self-imposed questions too seriously, I would answer with a set of three overall criteria:

  1. Relative Obscurity 
  2. Iconicness
  3. Personal Style
Without elaborating too much on each, I'd summarize that whatever machine I'd settle on would have to 'feel right' - now of course we all know that Gunpla don't actually move around and can't be controlled in battle simulators (yet!) and building them is simply an exercise in collection and hobbying - but a man can dream, can't he?

Again, perhaps its just me but whenever I invest in a model, unless its due to an overwhelming sense of attachment to the specific unit, I always look for opportunities to make it my own - custom paint schemes, weapon loadouts, complete pla-plate overhauls, etc - and while I don't have an extensive modelling portfolio yet, its the warhammer player in me that can't walk away from the hobby table without breaking out the tools and having a go at it.

Now, you didn't come here to listen to me ramble on and on about how I feel about gunpla - that'll be a post for another day - No, you came because you love anthropomorphized fantasy mammal inspired Gundams from obscure photo novels customized and given fictional backstories... What just me again!? Well fine then, I'll just be over here in a corner working on my RX-121-1 Gundam TR-1 (Hazel Custom) >_>...

I'm thinking... GM Ground type/Anaheim Test Type colour scheme, dual shield boosters, and some form of heavy ranged weapon equipment... Yeah, sounds about right!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!

    I always imagine myself in various known and unknown fantasy realms as well. Well, these days it's often a character I've thought up more often than myself, but I totally understand how you feel. Wakaru yo, wakaru yo~~

    Pokemon world, DBZ world...Inu Yasha world even! Mmm...maybe. And yeah, Gundam world - totally! Even though I wouldn't be a Coordinator/NewType >< Haha.
    I just hope I'm not a douchebag general or a random Zaku that gets blown up on screen or like Blue Cosmos or something... I would rather be smashing things with blue Astray, or at least uh...

    You know, I'll stick with my rogue travels with a too-big sword in a romantic Castle-aged high fantasy... :3 Somewhere where mind-bendingly epic multitasking and coordination are less necessary. And less deathness~ ;p

    Anyway, these are our long-lived Shonen dreams...

    Haha~ Can't wait to build my Blue Frame though~!

    -ゆっき

    ReplyDelete